In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy:
Department of Afrikaans, Lecturer
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Teach Afrikaans Linguistics at undergraduate level;
- Teach Afrikaans Linguistics, General Linguistics and Applied Linguistics at postgraduate level;
- Supervise postgraduate students;
- Make an active contribution to the Department’s research profile;
- Carry out academic administration and other activities in the Department as determined by the HOD.
- A Master’s degree in Linguistics;
- A research record appropriate to the post level.
- Expert knowledge of Afrikaans Linguistics;
- In-depth knowledge of General Linguistics;
- Expertise in at least one of the following subfields: Historical Linguistics, Phonetics, Phonology, Morphology, Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics;
- Excellent language and communication skills.
Added advantages and preferences
- Teaching experience at tertiary level;
- The ability to supervise and mentor postgraduate students;
- Involvement in professional societies and research projects;
- International contacts is a strong recommendation.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of
appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and
UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
Closing date: 25 June 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Enquiries: Ms Amanda Strauss, Tel: (012) 420 4293
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 August 2019, please accept that
your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from underrepresented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.