A Germanic Sandwich 2015 will be the fifth in a series of conferences in which Dutch is compared with its closest Germanic neighbours, English and German. The first edition took place in Berlin in 2005 to commemorate the appearance of Nederlands tussen Duits en Engels (‘Dutch between German and English’), a study by the renowned Dutch linguist C.B. van Haeringen. Subsequent editions were held in Sheffield (2008), Oldenburg (2010) and Leuven (2013). This two-day conference will take place on 24 and 25 April 2015 at the University of Nottingham (UK Campus).
We invite abstracts for talks of 20 minutes (+ 10 minutes’ discussion), in which Dutch is compared to German and/or English (other Germanic languages may of course be included as well). We welcome studies with a typological and/or comparative perspective, dealing with questions about structural aspects of the languages, their history or their status. Studies from a language acquisition or psycholinguistic perspective are also welcome.
Abstracts of c. 500 words can be sent to email@example.com. The conference languages are Dutch, English and German. The deadline for submission is 3 November 2014; notification of acceptance will take place during January 2015.
- Contact person: Alan Scott
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://germanicsandwich2015.weebly.com/
Local organising committee
- Alan Scott (University of Nottingham), Roel Vismans (University of Sheffield)
- Joop van der Horst (KU Leuven), Matthias Hüning (FU Berlin), Ann Marynissen (Universität zu Köln), Esther Ruigendijk (Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg), Alan Scott (University of Nottingham), Hans Smessaert (KU Leuven), Freek Van de Velde (KU Leuven), Roel Vismans (University of Sheffield), Gunther De Vogelaer (Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster), Ulrike Vogl (Universität Wien), Fred Weerman (Universiteit van Amsterdam), Ton van der Wouden (Meertens Instituut, Amsterdam)